Thursday, January 24, 2013

Getting into the Word TOGETHER

Proverbs 31: 
 11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.

I love being married. It is one of God's greatest blessings and I am so blessed to have Derrick as my husband. Part of my role as his wife is to "bring him good, not harm, all the days of my life." 

One way I have been doing that is by really encouraging us to spend time in the word together. We both do it on our own, but it's important to do it together also. A few weeks ago I picked up the Jesus Storybook Bible  at Lifeway. I had heard from several people how great this is whether for a family, a new Chrisitian or just anyone wanting to better understand the Bible. 



Well..I LOVE IT!!! Even though I have heard all of the stories before, it still helps me better understand the meaning of the story. The pictures are great also! We havn't read any of the stories from the New Testament yet, but at the end of every story from the Old Testament is ties the story to the coming of Jesus. I love this because a lot of times I don't always enjoy reading the Old Testament, but this really helps show how God had a plan to save the world from the very beginning

Derrick and I try to read a story or two every night before we go to bed. It gives us an opportunity to just spend some quality time together, talk about what the Bible has been teaching us and just ends our day on great page, literally! :)

I would REALLY encourage you and your husband or even boyfriend to take the time to read God's word together, whether it's this particular Bible or not.   Even if you don't have the time to sit down and read it together, pick a book in the bible and both read a chapter or two. Then take a few minutes at the end of your day to discuss what you read and what God has been teaching you through your reading. 

I promise this will really refresh your relationship with God and with each other. Since we started doing this I look forward to this time together every nightI am constantly encouraged on how I am more comfortable sharing the Bible with him, and how much more often I find myself praying for him and our marriage throughout the day.

**If you have children then I would definitely recommend this tooThe way the book is laid out is easy to follow and understand. It would make a great family devotional each night. Read a story with your kids and then talk it through. 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment