Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DIY Advent Calendar

A couple of weeks ago I posted about some fun family activities that keep Christ in Christmas! One of the activities was an advent calendar that included a story each night from the Jesus Storybook Bible. We don't have kids yet, but I thought this was still a great idea for D and I to do together each night in December until Christmas.

http://www.lifeway.com/Product/the-jesus-storybook-bible-p001294506


First, I dug out some brown paper lunch sacks from the pantry (or you can by some for $1.00 at your local dollar store). I cut them so they weren't so tall and used white acrylic paint and stencils to number them.



 Next, I made some little cards from card stock I had. I used green for the story we will read every night and red for the activities. I didn't do activities for each night, only 2 or 3 per week. Some activities I included were: watch a Christmas movie, drive around looking at Christmas lights, bake Christmas cookies, make s'mores in the fireplace, play board games and make homemade hot cocoa, etc.


After putting all the cards in their bag I strung twine on each ladder rung and used mini clothes pins to hang the bags. 

 


 Last year I spotted this chalkboard Christmas countdown in the dollar section at Target.  I'm so glad I grabbed it because it's the perfect addition to our advent calendar!

 
 
I love how it turned out and I'm so excited for December 1st so we can start this new tradition together!




Does your family do an advent calendar? What kinds of activities do you like to do each day?

No comments:

Post a Comment