Thursday, June 14, 2012

Excercise Yourself Toward Godliness

1 Timothy 4:7 "..exercise yourself toward godliness"

One of my friends and I have been walking twice a week! I enjoy walking  because it makes me healthier, but it also gives us some great girl time!

Not only is it good for us to exercise to improve our physical and mental health, but we should also walk to improve our spiritual health as well..our walk with Jesus.

My walk with Jesus has really improved over the past few months. I am in a Verge group  (A group of three girls from my church that read a section of the bible every week and then get together to discuss what we are learning and to just talk about life). This group has been great for me because it holds me accountable to read my Bible and also allows me to reflect on what God is teaching me through my reading and ask questions about things I might have.

At first, I admit, I was just reading to get it done and not really learning anything. I realized however, this defeated the whole purpose of the group and was really not building my walk with God.

1. I started praying each time before I read that God would help me stay focused and would reveal what he wanted me to learn through my reading.

2. I started journaling scriptures I found important or beneficial to me and what I was learning through those scriptures.

3. I prayed at the end of my reading that I would take what I had learned and really apply it to my life.


These three tings have really made me appreciate the Bible and how helpful it is for everyday life. It also has made me realize that in order to make my relationship with Derrick better, I have to spend quality time with him. Therefore, the only way to make my relationship or walk with Jesus better is spending time with Him and reading His word.

 1 Timothy 4:8 "For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things."

How is your walk with Jesus?  Are you MAKING the time to read His word and have a relationship with Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment